Like all delicate lingerie, bras require special care to maintain their shape and beautiful fit. To make caring for your bras easier, we’ve compiled a list of tips that will help ensure longer lasting lingerie.
TIP 1: Rotate Your Bras
Soma recommends you avoid wearing the same bra two days in a row, as perspiration can cause a bra’s elastic to deteriorate. Soma suggests having at least three bras in your wardrobe- one to wear, one to wash and one to rest for a day. Rotating your bras in this way will help each to last longer.
TIP 2: Hand Washing Is Preferred
Every bra is unique, with different fabrics, trims and care requirements. Read labels for washing and temperature instructions. In general, hand washing in cold water is preferred.
• Use one capful of Soma’s Gentle Wash per gallon of cold water.
• Squeeze the garment gently to distribute suds.
• Rinse thoroughly.
• Gently roll in a dry towel to remove excess moisture.
• Hang to finish drying.
TIP 3: Machine Wash Carefully
Machines can cause underwires to twist and poke through, cups to shrink and crumble, elastic to stretch and delicate lace and nylon to lose their looks. If you must machine wash, do not wash with heavy items like jeans or towels, which can twist bras out of shape.
• Hook the backs of your bras and tighten straps to prevent twisting, tangling and catching on lace and clothing.
• Place all lingerie in Soma’s Lingerie Wash Bag to keep it safe from the agitator.
• Add one ounce of Soma’s Gentle Wash in cold water on the delicate cycle.
• Avoid fabric softeners as they reduce the effectiveness of certain fabrics.
• Hang to dry. Do not machine dry, which will destroy the elastics.
TIP 4: Continue The Care
After your bras are completely dry, stack them in a row so the cups fit into each other, or hang them on hangers. Avoid folding bras in half with one cup inside the other, which could alter their shape.
TIP 5: Visit Regularly For A Fitting
Bra size can change up to six times in a woman’s lifetime. By visiting your Soma Intimates boutique for a Free Expert Bra Fitting every six months to one year, you can be sure the bras in your wardrobe are fitting correctly and maintaining their shape.
For more on bra care and fit, visit soma.com/brafit, where you can view videos, chat with a Soma Fit Stylist and find the perfect Soma bra for you.